My parents loaned us an awesome 4 cubic foot wheelbarrow, but I happened to have ordered a 7 cubic foot garden cart before I knew that was coming. Well, now that it's here, I'm definitely keeping it. It rolls like a dream, is amazingly well-built, and is made in Maine. If you want your own, be sure to check out
www.smartcarts.com. (of course, since you can never have too many ways to move stuff around, we'll be using the cart and the wheelbarrow both quite a bit)
And, of course, the post wouldn't be complete without some intense action shots of the garden. Look at those potatoes grow! (ok, apparently they're not quite up yet). We have the garden on the north side of the house fenced... well, fenced except for the gate; that's on the to-do list, I swear. Tonight the gate goes up and then we're on to the terraced garden on the south side (plus Dawn has some huge plans for the whole south yard).
Posted By Ben
Yeah, put in the gate! Maybe if I wasn't so distracted by a hockey game I could have helped more.... Haha right.
ReplyDeleteOn a different but kind of similar topic have you heard of CSA Farms? You purchase a share of a local farm and in return you get produce weekly or bi-weekly. Go to csafarms.org to check it out, I know you'll have your own produce soon but I thought it was pretty cool. Instead of going to the farmers market every week someone can have a ready made basket of seasonal produce all setup for them to pick up at either the farm or a local pick-up point. I was thinking about purchasing one because A) I need to eat more fresh food, B) I should buy more local food, and C) I need to consume less boxed food. Only $350 for 12 weeks of produce (for the farm I'm looking into)! I could definitely survive off how much they provide each week and it fits into my budget, but anyway, I like this. Go fresh food!
Oh, at the website they also have recipes from the farmers, and how to store the produce, and other helpful ideas. I'm kinda excited about the whole thing if you can't tell. I want some fresh local food now!
ReplyDeleteYes, we've heard of CSAs. We bought in one year. Go ahead and try it if it is something you want. You will learn to eat seasonally then -- veggies are only in season for a few weeks unlike the store where you get carrots year round. They usually have an estimated schedule of what veggies you'll get each week to help you plan what to make with them.
ReplyDeleteBen put up the gate. He got it finished today. yay gate!!!
It's awesome you're excited! I can't wait to hear about what you get and what you make with it!!
ReplyDeleteI want some fresh food asap! We have a freeze warning so I'm a little nervous for all the farmers around here, I hope they can protect their crops.
ReplyDeleteDon't panic! A lot of spring crops are frost tolerant. I'm pretty sure spinach makes it's own antifreeze. It's a pretty awesome plant. Most warm weather crops haven't even been planted yet because it's too cold. So you should still be ok on watermelon, corn, beans, and all that stuff. =) Most farmers have row covers if they need them. I think it will be a-okay!
ReplyDeleteYup, antifreeze. See http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2008-10-01/How-To-Grow-Spinach.aspx?page=3
ReplyDeleteTechnically, it produces some type of sugar to keep it from freezing. Nothing toxic or anything in case anyone was freaking out. =)
ReplyDelete