Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dawn's Oxymoron Berry Bush

Yesterday we placed an order at Stark Bro's for blueberry bushes and strawberry plants.  The plants I'm most excited about are the Pink Lemonade Blueberry bushes.  The berries will ripen to a bright pink!!!

What we'll be planting:
  • Ozark Beauty Strawberry
    These are everbearing with sweet berries.
  • Allstar Strawberry
    These are supposed to be disease resistant with sweet berries in mid-season.
  • Northblue Blueberry
    This is a half-high bush, so it should get 2-3 feet tall.
  • Northcountry Blueberry
    These should have a wild berry taste and get up to 2 feet tall and will start ripening before the other blueberry plants we got.
  • Pink Lemonade Blueberry
    These will have pretty pink flowers and bright pink berries. The bushes will get from 4-5 feet tall -- not sure where I can put these tall guys yet but I HAD to have them. =)
We chose shorter blueberry bushes (I think the high bush variety are taller than me!) so we could plant them in our front yard. There's not a lot of space out back with half of it being soggy wetland due to the spring and the other half shaded by trees and brush. Due to our very active deer and bunny population, we'll have to protect all our plants accordingly!

On a side note,  it will be about 3 years until the blueberry bushes have fruit so it will be a loooong wait!  Sorry family, but eventually we will have blueberry pancakes!

We also ordered two of these nice strawberry towers, one of which I will use to plant the Alpine Strawberries I ordered from Renee's.

No comments:

Post a Comment