Friday, June 10, 2011

Deer Attack, Progress


So much to report on this time! The north garden is doing well. Above and below you can see two of the three boxes of potatoes doing well.... ok, sort of. They have some type of pest eating on the leaves. It might be flea beetles. Not sure yet.



Above is our corn that is starting to grow. Sweet corn to be more specific. So far so good, until the raccoons come in a few months!


Also growing well is the spinach and up front here is cilantro. Yum!


Peas are starting to flower and the lettuce is growing quite big. We've already had a few salads. =)
 

This box is at the very front of the garden, facing the street. I planted some petunias in with my slow growing poppies (all those tiny things along the back). The fluffy thing is some flower I forget what kind.... In the second tier is the third "box" of potatoes. Seems like a lot of potatoes, but they will store all winter. So no worries.


Inside the covered hoops is our broccoli crop. Looking good! The row cover keeps most of the bugs away from them.


These are yellow Cortland onions. They should also store well. They share a box with some cabbage and cheddar cauliflower.


This is a planter at the front of the North garden. Partly to keep deer from having a landing spot if they try and jump the fence and partly to stink up their nose. Behind the flowers is strong smelling sweet mint -- something deer don't like.


In case you wanted the "big picture" here is what the north garden is shaping up to look like. Still needs a bit more work, but looking good so far.

Notice anything missing in this picture? There should be lovely impatien blooms, but the deer came up on the front porch and munched them off. I think they should recover though. They knocked my lavender off the porch in the process (something that stinks to them).

This is a munched up san marzano tomato plant. Not sure how it will fare now. Stupid deer. This is the South garden which isn't fully fenced yet. There is deer netting but they came up some stairs and down a sidewalk where there wasn't fence. Never expected them to do that, but now we know better.


This is a collection of hoof prints and eaten up strawberry plants. Fortunately there are a few leaves left on most plants so I think they will recover. South garden.


The last update showed that we were fencing the south garden. Here in that extra area being fenced, I've started digging up a squash/corn/bean patch.


More of the south garden. Remember the tiers going down the hill? Well this is one of them. It lost it's row cover in a bad storm. There is broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, and onions in this bed -- not all of those fit in the photo though.

One of the bell pepper plants. The deer did eat one of them -- it's a stick with ONE leaf left. Not sure if it will make it. =/

This is parsley in the back herb garden. Really needs to be weeded, but otherwise it's growing very very well. We had started these plants indoors in early March. =)

The previous owners of our home had planted some peonies. They are now in bloom.

Unfortunately, one of the two peony plants seems to have some disease that I haven't identified yet.
...

3 comments:

  1. The deer sure are busy eating some tasty things! Hopefully you have that fence up by now and nothing else will be eaten.

    I get my first CSA share tomorrow! Very excited to get some fresh local food, ill let you know what I got :-) hopefully I'll see the two of you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I got some strawberries, a dozen eggs, some type of sprout, asparagus, parsley, cilantro, pea shoots, arugula, a loaf of fresh bread (this farm also runs an Artisan bakery), and some giant leaf things that I can't identify. I'm devouring the berries and ate some sprouts and pea shoots at dinner. All in all a very nice selection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet!! Hmm. Big leafy things... Kale? Chard? google those. Don't forget about that book we gave you to help you figure out what to do with them or how to store them. You need to post pictures of what you cook with all your cool stuff now!

    ReplyDelete