Tuesday, June 21, 2011
Still building...
Still building the garden. Most of the garage side (tiered) garden is fenced in. The squash, corn, and bean bed is dug, turned, and mostly planted as you can see above. Well, mostly see... i took the photo before we planted it. The white blob in the back is a row cover I throw over the raspberries at night in case a deer gets in. I'm hoping it will keep them from munching on one of their favorite foods. If the canes get eaten this year, that means NO berries next year. Each year they put up canes for NEXT years fruit. So I need to guard them with my life =) That gate back there is one we put in so the neighbor can come over and pick some produce and visit easily.
I don't know what is wrong with my peppers. They have curled leaves but and aren't a dark green. Otherwise they look ok. The potted one is a seedling from Home Depot I got in case my bed of peppers fails me this year. It is either a transplant problem or a soil problem.... =/
These are two of the potato beds that are doing really well. They've been flowering for awhile and I'm sure we need to get some extra dirt in there to "hill" the potatoes. Otherwise they will get exposed to light and turn toxic green. I read somewhere that when they flower they are starting to make spuds. So cool!
There are several plants (I'm hoping of the same kind) in the front potato bed that aren't looking good at all. I'm not sure if we should dig them out or what. Maybe they got a disease, maybe the seed potatoes came diseased? I have no idea. =/
On to happier things. My yellow Cortland onions look amazing. I think we started them indoors in March. I better learn when I'm supposed to harvest them! It's nice to see this because when I first transplanted them they looked wilty and sad and I thought for sure they would croak on me.
In the front is the cilantro, back is the spinach. Ben thinks it (the spinach) will bolt soon so we should probably pick it all and freeze it. I have Catalina and one other kind of spinach in there.
Peas are in flower and have been making peas. A deer can be seen behind the fence regularly checking it out and trying to figure out how he/she might get in to eat them all.
Express red cabbage is looking better after we've picked several cabbage worms off of them. They were having a feast and leaving great big old holes in them.
This is inside the broccoli tunnel. The plants look AMAZING. Unfortunately we caught a white moth like thing in there. I hope it didn't lay cabbage worm eggs. ARG. That will teach me to not patch the hole the dog made in the cover. I did staple it shut the other day to prevent any more intruders.
Another shot of the broccoli in the tunnel. The leaves are bigger than my hand! Amazing! It's so fascinating to see how food grows. I think it fascinates others as well because many people ask about the big flowering things in the nearby boxes -- which are the potatoes. Not many people see potato plants... just the spuds they eat.
...
Labels:
Garden Update,
Preparing,
Vegetables
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment