Garden Marigold
This runs along the property line, so now we don't have to mow this 8-10" strip while stepping on the neighbors lawn!
The first broccoli heads are forming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited. I don't know how you know when they are ready to pick. I want them bigger, but I have to pick them before they start blooming... hmm.
This is the Arcadia broccoli bed. We had the cover off to pick out the cabbage worms. Some holes got in the row cover, letting in the white cabbage butterfly/moth (not sure if it is a butterfly or a moth...) to lay eggs. ARG.
The super super evil cabbage worm that eats up your broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower plants and poops green all over them.
Express red cabbage is starting to form heads. I'm a little concerned though because the plants have been under constant attack by cabbage worms (hatched from eggs laid by the white cabbage butterfly/moth thingie). They eat the plant and move towards the center. I hope there's not wormies in the head!! I've been meaning to put row cover on, but it's such a pain. However, I found in our organic gardening book today that 3/4" deer netting might prevent the moths from getting to the plants. So today I will throw some of that over the hoops after I pick all the evil buggies off. The netting will make it so much easier (because it is so easy to see through) to check up on the plants to see if there are more worms that have hatched.
Mammoth Melting Sugar Pea -- I think. Or a flat shelling pea. But I think it's the melting one.
Peas! These are shelling peas. I think the plants are almost done producing since it's getting really hot out.
These are the beets we just planted for beet greens. They will need to be thinned out soon as they are much too close together.
I planted seed poppies in late spring and you can see they are forming giant flower heads that should open soon. They will have seeds that I can use in baking! MMM.
If you remember weeks ago, I posted photos of our first blossoms and green tomatoes? Well, these are those little San Marzanos that are finally turning red. Not sure what to make of the funky double tomato though!
The mega Costata Romanesco Zucchini plant! Ok, it's not mega, but compared to it's neighbors it is. We call it the killer zucchini because it's so much bigger than the plants next to it that it's leaves are growing over the tiny plants and covering them in shade.
A sea of carrot tops! This is my small patch of circus circus colored carrots. I tried picking one the other day but they are still teeny tiny.
This is a honey nut squash plant that we transplanted in our lawn dirt that we blended bags of manure & humus into. They seem to be doing alright so far.
This is a Savor french melon plant. It is one of the few melon plants in the garden that are actually growing. Most have stayed transplant size and it has been very frustrating. We've come to believe that the topsoil with compost blend we purchased is not very balanced in nutrients and is the cause of our problems. We've been adding a good organic fertilizer to the plants and it seems to be helping them grow. We're still having trouble with the watermelons though. =/
Ben is building a small picnic table that will reside under the big maple tree in the south garden. yay! We will be staining it blue to add some fun to the garden.
I saw these beetle bugs chillin' on my Marigolds in the evening and I became quite worried. As this area is near my beans, zucchini, and cucumbers. i wondered what this evil beetle was up to! Turns out, it's just a lightning bug. I wonder if it likes the bright yellow flower for a reason? From what I've read, they'll eat slugs, plant nectar, and some other stuff. The nectar might explain why the bug is on the flower! Welcome to my garden glow butt bugs! Please please eat all my slugs!
...
No comments:
Post a Comment