Sunday, April 10, 2011

More Progress!


We got the second bed in today during the hot hot temps. We had a spike up into what had to be the eighties. It's almost 9 PM and weather.com says it's 78 degrees out....  After that we spent a large portion of the day adding dirt to build up the very back of the garden area where the third bed went in. Ben is still outside working on a fourth. I haven't got him to come in yet. After I saw a bat I was DONE.


Above you can see the third bed. We had a nice late lunch on the screened porch after we got the bed leveled. While I was on the porch I took a picture of the blueberry bushes that are coming to life. We should be able to transplant them soon. I'm waiting until we can put fencing around them or they'll be eaten instantly by rabbits or deer. Speaking of deer, a neighbor that walked by said that whilst I was building the garden the other day, two deer were watching me. Those sneaky 4 legged eating machines are just waiting for me to plant something! I hope the deer netting will keep them at bay...

8 comments:

  1. HAHA! You have stalker deer! I bet they'll tell all their buddies about the goods that'll soon be planted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they are! They're always hanging out nearby. The other day I was turning soil in the back yard by the brush. I sat on the steps down there to take a break and I heard this huge snort. It sounded like a large man eating animal was nearby. Turns out it was just a deer. Evil garden eating menaces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to start planting spinach in the new beds in the photo but Ben read that you should put a fence up BEFORE you plant anything so the deer will be less likely to jump it than if they are used to finding food in there. Who knows if that's for sure, but we need to try every weird trick with the number of deer we have around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The deer are plentiful there. Hopefully none of them get wise or can smell what's on the other side of the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm sure they will sniff it out ASAP. To not upset the neighbors, we are only planning a 4 foot fence. However, the raised beds should help deter them from jumping over the fence because it doesn't offer a flat landing ground with all those wood boxes. I'm also going to be putting hoops with row cover so that you can't really land on. I'm going to leave the hoops even when I take off the cover to keep them from finding a landing spot too. I guess we'll see how it goes... they might be brave though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, they'll be able to see through the fence too. If we put up a solid one, the neighbors would not be happy with us. Like my Grandma said, we should have bought a farm. Ha. I just can't believe how many deer live in the urban neighborhood! Darn neighbors behind us with there huge acreage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YEAH! Those darn neighbors, with all the water and grass for deer to feast. You needed their property and they should have yours. It does seem weird that so many deer are hanging around a populated area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I'd trade them. This area and nearby seems to be a mix of urban and hobby farm type properties. Not to mention MSU and all their huge farm fields aren't too far either! My Grandparents are 5 miles away in a subdivision but they can walk to a house with a large piece of property that has a Buffalo on it!

    ReplyDelete