The San Marzano tomatoes are getting HUGE. Since they are so tall now, they really don't get enough light under the flourecents so I've brought them outdoors for sun. I bring them in every night to make sure they stay nice and warm. They seem a little spindly compared to some tomatoes I saw in a greenhouse. I will just bury thier stems extra deep when I plant them.
Since this is our first garden, everythign is new and exciting -- including our very first tomato blossom!!
The strawberries are still growing. Ben's been working on building the strawberry beds so we can get them planted. Some plants are obviously way bigger than others. I have no idea why that is. Also, I've lost a handful of them to unknown reasons. Turns out I'm not a very good strawberry grower thus far. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong!
We planted three beds of potatoes and many different varieties. They didn't come up very fast so we were worried we were terrible gardeners that killed all the potatoes....but they've finally started coming up!
This is a shot of the butterfly gardern before I did more plant removal. The garden was really overgrown so I've removed most of the stuff in it and after this photo, I got several of the new plants in!
This is the fallout from our garden work. When removing all the plants and weeds from the butterfly garden I thought it would all fit in that wheelbarrow. Silly me. Soil turning and plant pulling is very tiring so after awhile you just start chucking things into the yard. The huge brush pile is from cleanout of another overgrown area of the yard. So much to do this year!!!!!
Other than that, construction on the tiered garden is almost done!! A few levels even have their dirt! As soon as the storms pass we can get some of the transplants in and some beans planted!
Wow, so much progress and so many plants growing and hopefully blossoming soon. Its like you have a full time job and your payroll is produce. No one ever said farming was easy, I know I'm not even up to taking care of a house plant right now. Good job on sticking with it and working hard!
ReplyDeleteHa, I like that my salary is produce. It definately is a full time job. I just started some more seeds indoors -- the ones that need really warm weather to grow. They'll probably get transplanted in a few weeks. We are exhausted though. I've planted 13 raspberry plants so far and Ben is 50% done building a zillion strawberry boxes. I can't wait!!
ReplyDelete