Friday, May 20, 2011

Peas, Potatoes, Flowers, and Building Strawberry Boxes


The potatoes are really growing!!! Some potatoes put up more than one green plant. Not entirely sure if that is an issue, but my Uncle said it would be fine and it will grow into one?


The peas are doing good. I planted Burpee's Heirlooms Mammoth Melting sugar pea and Burpee's Heirlooms Thomas Lexington shell pea. I did an 8 foot double row of each, but I planted the second row of each 10 days later for a longer harvest.  That is my pea and bean netting from Gurney's but they aren't really climbing it yet....  I also planted different lettuce mixes in front of the pea rows because lettuce doesn't mind some shade.


This is the tiered garden. Two of the tiers have the black dirt and are ready to plant. The very top tier will be beans this year. The one in the photo I planted yellow & red onion, Express Red Cabbage, cheddar cauliflower, Di Ciccio broccoli, Arcadia broccoli, and a whole pack of Circus Circus colored carrot mix.

 Here are all those things I just listed all planted!  I put  Agribon 15 insect barrier row cover over it when I was done. That should keep those cabbage moth things from laying eggs on my broccoli and cabbage. It's just a light row cover that lets most of the sun through as well as rain and some wind. I'm glad I had it on because we got several VERY WINDY days that might have damaged the tiny seedlings.

Here is a shot of the strawberry boxes being built.  You're looking down a walking path. Along the side of the tiered garden will be almost 30 feet of planter box (left of walking path). We will terrace it down to follow the larger garden.  To the right of the walking path  (wich will be a downhill path!) are a few large planting boxes that may or may not end up with strawberries in them.


Here is a shot of the construction from the other end of it.

For something fun and cheery, this is a flowering tree in the neighbors yard by our property line. Pretty flowers!

Some lilacs in bloom near the bottom of the tiered garden.  Also not shown are the 13 raspberry plants I've planted!! More on that later though. =)
....

No comments:

Post a Comment