Let's start with the good news, we have been getting some really great Lilac Bell Peppers from the garden. We really like the flavor of them in the purple stage (they turn from cream, to purple, to red). Some of the tomatoes are finally turning red, though many of them have splits and injuries from the deluge of rain we got. The bush beans are ready and we've already had some cooked beans with dinner! The only weird thing about the beans are they are a little fuzzy/felty on the surface. It really weirds me out, but they were fine to eat.
Now, onto the bad news. I have either cantaloupe or french melons in the garden. I should have both, but I can't tell them apart because I don't know when cantaloupe form that netting. I did pick one melon and it turned out not to be ripe. Tasted very yucky. So, I really haven't got to eat any of them yet. However, there has been a garden visitor that has been eating them for me. We think it is the woodchuck that lives over in the neighbor's yard by the spring. That little jerk has eaten a melon a day and has sampled others, probably to see if they are ripe enough. ARG. Ben found his entry point and blocked it, but then the woodchuck found another. Ben has blocked that one too, so we'll have to see if that works. The only good part of this is that the critter hasn't eaten any of the watermelons!!
..
Stupid woodchuck eating the tasty melons! Hopefully you stop the critter.
ReplyDeleteBen added more fencing, and then somehow the gate got open. Neither of us know how. So it was a wide open invite for him to eat EVEN MORE. Arg!
ReplyDelete