Tuesday, April 26, 2011

New Backyard Resident


Last year Bandit dug this hole. Who knows why. Maybe he sniffed something under the board. This year I just discovered someone living here.... =)  He does look kinda like a grump though...

We think he is some kind of toad.  Googling about him I found that the state does frog and toad surveys because there is a concern over a significant decline in their populations.  I only found two toad species on the DNR site, so I think he is an Eastern American Toad. It says he can eat 3200 bugs in a season. Welcome to our garden!!!

Updated:  So you can see a little better where he lives, click on the photo below to enlarge it. He's in the red circled area. He lives under the board that divides the rocks under the porch from the grass. (Photo from last fall).

2 comments:

  1. That toad looks terrifying! Did you name him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I didn't think to do that. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete